Welcome to the College Bowl Club at UCLA!
Practice for Winter 2015
Thursdays from 7 pm to 9 pm, Bunche 3123
What's New for 2014-2015 (Including Upcoming Tournaments)
- UCLA got second place at PADAWAN at UCSD on Saturday, October 11. Results are here.
- UCLA hosted Introductory Collaborative Collegiate Set on Saturday, October 25. UCLA A tied for 2nd while UCLA B tied for 5th. Results are here.
- UCLA got first place at ACF Fall at Pomona on Saturday, November 8. Results are here.
- UCLA hosted TWAIN XIII on Saturday, November 15. Results are here.
- UCLA hosted DEES on Sunday, January 11. Results are here.
- UCLA won the Division II championship at ACF Regionals at Stanford on Saturday, January 24. Results are here.
- UCLA won the Division II championship at NAQT SCT at Pomona on Saturday, February 7. Results are here.
- UCLA tied for third at George Oppen at UCSD on Saturday, February 21. Results are here.
- UCLA is going to NAQT ICT at the Hilton Atlanta hotel in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday, March 28.
- UCLA is going to MUT at UCSD on Sunday, April 5.
- UCLA is going to ACF Nationals at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday, April 18.
- UCLA is going to STIMPY at Caltech on Saturday, April 25.
- Archive of older news.
What We Do
Quizbowl is an academic competition format pitting one team of up to four players against another team of up to four players. While a question describing a certain event, person, phenomenon, or entity is being read, the players individually compete to see who can buzz in first with the correct answer to the tossup. Teams can then work together to answer bonus questions when a member of their team gets the tossup right.
Quizbowl is similar to formats like academic decathlon, academic olympiad, knowledge master, and the TV show Jeopardy! in that it rewards knowledge to those most prepared to demonstrate it. Many of our past and present team members have utilized this knowledge to win large sums of money in game shows like Jeopardy! and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
Although quizbowl generally covers areas that are academic in nature (such as literature, history, sciences like biology and chemistry and physics, fine arts, religion, mythology, philosophy, geography, social sciences like psychology and economics and linguistics, and current events), we also play on questions geared towards popular culture, such as music, movies, sports, and general knowledge. We travel throughout California to places like San Diego, Pomona, Pasadena, and Stanford, in addition to national tournaments in places like Chicago, New York, Atlanta, and Ann Arbor, and raise money for our trips by hosting tournaments.
- Join the UCLA QB mailing list by sending this email.
- Join our facebook group UCLA QB (admin approval required).
- Come to practices! We meet every Thursday from 7 to 9 pm at Bunche 3123.
- Look at old questions from the Collegiate Quizbowl Packet Archive, the Stanford archive, or NAQT.
- Check out the clubs at Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago, and Michigan.
- Learn to write questions, direct tournaments, and follow the rules.
- Dwight's resource guide and template for tournament announcements.
- Search through packets from Quinterest.
- Join the discussion at the Quizbowl Resource Center.
- Look up old tournaments at the Quizbowl Resource Database.
- Search for teams and players at Harry White's page.
Any Other Questions?
Come to one of our practices, or email us.