Welcome to the College Bowl Club at UCLA!
Practice for Fall 2015
Tuesdays from 6 pm to 8 pm, Bunche 2173
What's New for 2015-2016 (Including Upcoming Tournaments)
- UCLA is going to Penn Bowl at UC Irvine on Saturday, October 24.
- UCLA is going to Missouri Open at UCSD on Sunday, October 25.
- UCLA is hosting VCU Novice on Saturday, October 31.
- UCLA is going to ACF Fall at Claremont Colleges on Saturday, November 7.
- UCLA is hosting TWAIN XIV on Saturday, December 5.
- The 2016 NAQT ICT will be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago, Illinois on Saturday, April 9.
- The 2016 ACF Nationals will be held at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday, April 16 and Sunday, April 17.
Archive of older news.
What We Do
Quizbowl is an academic competition format pitting one team of up to four players against another team of up to four players. While a question describing a certain event, person, phenomenon, or entity is being read, the players individually compete to see who can buzz in first with the correct answer to the tossup. Teams can then work together to answer bonus questions when a member of their team gets the tossup right.
Quizbowl is similar to formats like academic decathlon, academic olympiad, knowledge master, and the TV show Jeopardy! in that it rewards knowledge to those most prepared to demonstrate it. Many of our past and present team members have utilized this knowledge to win large sums of money in game shows like Jeopardy! and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
Although quizbowl generally covers areas that are academic in nature (such as literature, history, sciences like biology and chemistry and physics, fine arts, religion, mythology, philosophy, geography, social sciences like psychology and economics and linguistics, and current events), we also play on questions geared towards popular culture, such as music, movies, sports, and general knowledge. We travel throughout California to places like San Diego, Claremont, Pasadena, and Stanford, in addition to national tournaments in places like Chicago, New York, Atlanta, and Ann Arbor, and raise money for our trips by hosting tournaments.
- Join our Facebook group UCLA QB (admin approval required).
- Come to practices! We meet every Tuesday from 6 to 8 pm at Room 2173 in Bunche Hall.
- Look at old questions from the Collegiate Quizbowl Packet Archive, the Stanford archive, or NAQT.
- Check out the clubs at Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago, and Michigan.
- Learn to write questions, direct tournaments, and follow the rules.
- Dwight's resource guide and template for tournament announcements.
- Search through packets from Quinterest, Aseem Keyal's database, and QBDB.
- Join the discussion at the Quizbowl Resource Center.
- Look up old tournaments at the Quizbowl Resource Database.
- Search for teams and players at Harry White's page.
Any Other Questions?
Come to one of our practices, or email us.