Welcome to the College Bowl Club at UCLA!
Practice for Fall 2014
What's New for 2014-2015 (Including Upcoming Tournaments)
- UCLA is hosting Introductory Collaborative Collegiate Set on Saturday, October 25.
- UCLA is going to ACF Fall at Pomona on Saturday, November 8.
- UCLA is hosting TWAIN XIII on Saturday, November 15.
- Archive of older news.
What We Do
Quiz bowl is an academic competition format pitting one team of up to four players against another team of up to four players. While a question describing a certain event, person, phenomenon, or entity is being read, the players individually compete to see who can buzz in first with the correct answer to the tossup. Teams can then work together to answer bonus questions when a member of their team gets the tossup right.
Quiz bowl is similar to formats like academic decathlon, academic olympiad, knowledge master, and the TV show Jeopardy! in that it rewards knowledge to those most prepared to demonstrate it. Many of our past and present team members have utilized this knowledge to win large sums of money in game shows like Jeopardy! and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
Although quiz bowl generally cover areas that are academic in nature (such as literature, history, sciences like biology and chemistry and physics, fine arts, religion, mythology, philosophy, geography, social sciences like psychology and economics and linguistics, and current events), we also play on questions geared towards popular culture, such as music, movies, sports, and general knowledge. We travel to places like Berkeley, Chicago, New York, Atlanta, and Ann Arbor, and raise money for our trips by hosting tournaments.
- Join the UCLA QB mailing list by sending this email.
- Join our facebook group UCLA QB (admin approval required).
- Come to practices! Time and location TBD.
- Look at old questions from the Collegiate Quizbowl Packet Archive, the Stanford archive, or NAQT.
- Check out the clubs at Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago, and Michigan.
- Learn to write questions, direct tournaments, and follow the rules.
- Dwight's resource guide and template for tournament announcements.
- Search through packets from Quinterest.
- Join the discussion at the Quizbowl Resource Center.
- Look up old tournaments at the Quizbowl Resource Database.
- Search for teams and players at Harry White's page.
Any Other Questions?
Come to one of our practices, or email us.